Par Priscilla le 11 April 2018 à 11:44
The most prolific author of French-speaking Evangelical Protestantism left us to join the heavenly homeland on April 6, 2018 at the age of 97.
This is not to summarize the life course of Alfred Kuen, in this regard, a site powered by his daughter Nelly Sinclair-Kuen, already exists here. I would therefore content myself with pointing out six salient aspects of his life in order to express my gratitude for his example and to salute the legacy he has left us by his numerous works.
1. A prolific author
When one thinks of Mr. Kuen, one thinks first of all of the tireless writer, author of about 90 books, that represents more than 400,000 books published in various languages. Two dominant ones have marked his life : the Bible and Church life.
He was, indeed, a collector of different versions of the Bible. This is how he came up with the idea, by putting the texts in common, to give birth to the Living Word version. He is also the initiator of the Bible in the version of Sower and notes of the Bible study.
The concrete questions related to Church life, which are confirmed by his experiences on the ground, led him to write extensively on this theme. Witness his first book, "Let all be one," or "I will build my church."
2. A hard worker and versatile
It is in the family, in Alsace, that he learned the taste of work. He will not miss any time later to get books and study. In parallel with his involvement in the local assembly, he first teaches literature in a college, then he becomes a music teacher in a high school, and finally, he is a master trainer at the École Normale de Strasbourg. His involvement in the local church, as well as the writing of his books, take all his free time. In 1947, he married Mimosa who lived by his side and supported him for 43 years, until his death in 1990. This is an opportunity to recall that his ministry would not have been possible without the support of his wife.
3. A man of peace in the service of the local Church
After the Second World War, in Strasbourg, he participated in the creation of the Church of Good News, with a group of student friends from the Ecole Normale. He plays an important role as an elder, preacher and teacher for 26 years. He also intervenes as a mediator in delicate situations. His irenic nature predisposes him. His commitment to the service of the Church will be extended by the many books he has written on this subject.
4. An autodidact
In 1944, he can finally follow a Bible training at the Emmaus Biblical Institute in Vennes sur Lausanne which will last only 4 months and a half, but this experience is founding for the rest of his career. He will never stop studying. In 2011, the Faculty of Evangelical Theology (FLTE) of Vaux-sur-Seine awarded him an honorary doctorate.
5. A man with three retreats !
While Mr Kuen reaches retirement age as a teacher, René Pache, director of the Emmaus Institute, invites him to join the teachers' corps. He will teach there for 10 years. He took a second retreat as director of Emmaus editions, then moved on to a third retreat devoted entirely to writing.
6. An enthusiastic model
He will often be tested, notably by an accident, by the dangers during the war, by the death of his son Daniel in 1977 and by the sudden death of his wife in 1990. But still they will persevere, he will tirelessly pursue his race with enthusiasm! He certainly drew the secret of his enthusiasm from his favorite verse : "You have everything fully in Christ" Col. 2.10.
Par Priscilla le 3 April 2018 à 09:22
Is not it wonderful to know that the Bible invites us to pray for one another ?
Pray for each other, so that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of the righteous is very effective. (James 5:16)
God wants us to care for each other because we are all links in a big chain, members of the same body.
The apostle Paul used to pray for others, as he shares in Philippians 1: 4 : "Whenever I pray for you, I do it with joy." He also asked brothers and sisters to pray for him (Eph 6:19).
Paul was not physically with them, but the prayer is wonderful that she can bless someone from a distance ! Do not deprive us and take the opportunity to bless all those who are dear to us.
A Day A Prayer is received by intercessors from many different countries : France, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada, USA, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Congo Kinshasa and Brazzaville, Brazil ... By prayer we can take care of each other, despite the distances that separate us.
Pray that each intercessor of One Day A Prayer will be exhorted and encouraged. We do not know all situations but God knows them and he is the God of miracles.
Lord, I ask you for a miracle for my brothers and sisters today ! On each and every one, I proclaim a particularly blessed day.
Sent with love,
Par Priscilla le 26 March 2018 à 19:29
Jesus is risen ! As Easter approaches, it is good to reaffirm our reasons for believing. Matt Perman, in an article on DesiringGod, puts forward the historical evidence of the resurrection of Jesus. I have summarized the article below.
Matt Perman begins by affirming three truths on which all historians agree :
1. The empty tomb : The tomb in which Jesus was buried is discovered empty by women on the third day
2. The appearance of the Risen Christ : The disciples of Jesus had real experiences with Him whom He believed to be the risen Christ
3. The origin of the Christian faith : Resulting from the preaching of these disciples, with the resurrection at the center, the Christian Church was born and developed
From these three historical facts, the author wonders what is the most plausible explanation to explain each of the facts and the three together.
The tomb is empty
Arguments in favor of the empty tomb :
- The preaching of the disciples began with Jerusalem, the city where Jesus was buried. If the body was still there, the Jews would not have listened to the preaching of the disciples.
- The first argument to refute the resurrection is the empty tomb (Mt 28: 11-15). Jewish leaders tried to discredit the disciples with the "stolen body" theory. Even if it served them, they had to admit that the tomb is empty.
- The testimony of women : the testimony of women was worthless at the time. If it was a legend, it looked like the disciples had discovered the body first.
- The Jews and Romans could not have stolen the body : they wanted to extinguish Christianity. The best way to do that would have been to prove that Jesus was dead.
- The disciples also had no reason, since they exposed themselves to death and torture by preaching the resurrection.
Christ appears risen
3 possibilities: the disciples have
If they were lying, how to explain that the disciples were ready to die for a lie. We could die for a lie we believe in, but die for a lie that we know to be false ...
- The theory of hallucination does not hold because of the experience of the disciples: they ate with Jesus and they touched him.
- Hallucinations are not group experiences, but personal ones.
- The theory of hallucination does not fit with the empty tomb.
3. Really seen risen Christ
The origin of the Christian faith
Even the most skeptical scholars acknowledge that the disciples believed that Jesus was risen from the dead. William Lane Craig points out that there may be 3 explanations for the origin of the Christian faith:
1. Christian influences
- Christian influences can not explain the birth of Christianity!
2. Pagan influences
- Researchers reject the idea of pagan influences to explain the birth of Christianity: the mystery religions had no major influence in 1st century Palestine.
- Also, most sources that contain parallels between pagan myths and Christianity date from its birth.
- Finally, it was unthinkable for Jews to borrow from another religion.
3. Jewish influences
- Jewish influence is implausible: Jewish eschatology did not include the resurrection of a person in the middle of history, but the resurrection of all at the end of time.
The resurrection is the most plausible explanation
If we deny the resurrection, we are faced with 3 inexplicable mysteries and we must then give an explanation for these 3 facts. But if Christ is risen, then all these facts light up. The three facts alone bear witness to the resurrection. But taken together, the evidence is even stronger.
What are the implications ?
1. The resurrection proves that what Jesus said about himself is true when he proclaimed to be God.
2. If the resurrection is true, then what the Bible says is true, because Jesus claimed that the Bible was inspired and error free.
3. The resurrection shows the validity of Christianity, because it accords with the facts.
4. The resurrection proves that Jesus will judge the world one day (Ac 17.31) and we will one day have to account for our lives before him.
5. The resurrection of Jesus gives us hope for eternal life. If Jesus died and rose, we no longer have to fear condemnation (Rm 4.25).
6. The resurrection of Christ precedes ours. As He is risen, one day we will be resurrected. And we, too, will have glorified bodies.
Par Priscilla le 19 March 2018 à 21:07
On April 19 this year Israelis will celebrate Yom Ha'atzmaut on Independence Day on the Jewish date of the declaration of independence of the State of Israel by David Ben Gurion on the 5th of April. iyar (month of shine or budding).
For nations, May 14 is the same historic day (but always the same date from year to year). It is therefore on this day that nations honor (or not) Israel. 70 years later, Christians mobilize all nations in Jerusalem, the anniversary of the rebirth of Israel! To proclaim life, redeem time and change times! Like a seal on the times of the end.
March Of the Nations invites all nations to come to honor the Jewish people on the biblical land, in the city of David, and also to give glory to the one who said "My people ... My inheritance ... My country" (Joel 3), "The city I chose to put my name on it" (1 Kings).
Walk of Life France invites all French intercessors to come and mark these times with an imprint of repentance and blessing! An exceptional space-time to repent and bless !
It will be :
- The first Christian conference after the declaration on Jerusalem capital of Israel
- The 70th birthday
- The day of the relocation of the US embassy in Jerusalem
- With times of praise and worship, with dances and intercessions, international speakers will prepare hearts for solemn repentance towards Israel and the Jewish people.
- An Exceptional Walk of Life: With Israelis from all walks of life, Christians from all over the world will walk from the Knesset to Mount Zion to honor the Holocaust survivors, to publicly demonstrate that nations are positioning themselves alongside Israel, and to say no to anti-Semitism!
- The "Feast of Life", in honor of the Jewish people and Israel, will close these historic days.
Complete information and registration on my2018.com/en/.
Par Priscilla le 2 March 2018 à 15:34
1. Pray for their salvation
Brothers, the wish of my heart and my prayer to God for them is that they be saved.
Romans 10: 1
2. Pray that they love the Word of God
How will the young man make his path pure By following his word? I seek you with all my heart : Do not let me go astray from your commandments !
Psalm 119: 9-10
3. Pray for their place in the Church
Let us not abandon our assembly, as is the custom of some ; but let us exhort each other, especially when you see the day approaching.
4. Pray for their discernment
Do not conform to the present age, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind, so that you discern what is the will of God, which is good, pleasant and perfect.
Romans 12: 2
5. Pray for good counselors
Be my imitators, as I am myself of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11: 1
6. Pray for them to stand up to temptations
No temptation has come to you that has not been human, and God, who is faithful, will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength; but with temptation he will also prepare the way out, so that you can bear it.
1 Corinthians 10:13
7. Pray for them to have Christian friends
He who has many friends has them for his misfortune, but he is such friend more attached than a brother.
8. Pray for healthy relationships
Flee the passions of youth, and seek justice, faith, charity, peace, with those who invoke the Lord with a pure heart.
2 Timothy 2:22
9. Pray for their identity in Christ
You are the light of the world. A city on a mountain can not be hidden ; and we do not light a lamp to put it under the bushel, but we put it on the candlestick, and it lights all those who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 5: 14-16
10. Pray that they will persevere in the trials
But you, be sober in all things, endure sufferings, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry well.
2 Timothy 4: 5
11. Pray for them to have wisdom
You will thus acquire grace and a sound reason, in the eyes of God and of men. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your wisdom ;
Proverbs 3: 4-5
12. Pray that they will commit to God
Let no one despise your youth ; but be a model for the faithful, in word, in conduct, in charity, in faith, in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12
your comment1 2
Follow this section's article RSS flux
Follow this section's comments RSS flux